Thursday, August 25, 2011

Out of the mouths of babes…

Have you ever heard the phrase "Kids say the darndest things"?  Well, it really takes on new meaning when you have your own kids and they're the ones saying "the darndest things"!

The other day my daughter and I were driving past a…er…I guess we’ll call it a gentlemen’s club, and she spotted pictures of scantily clad women on its exterior. She looked thoughtful for a moment, then came out with a zinger - “Mommy, those girls are not very kind… they’re not following the rules. You’re not allowed to leave the house without your clothes on!”. Well, I laughed so hard that I almost cried!

Kids are so observant - more than we give them credit for. As we all know, it’s usually the stuff we don’t want them to see / hear / remember that they do. And they are honest, almost to a fault. I remember one time we crossed paths with a “biker dude” wearing a bandana over his long hair. My preschooler proceeded to point at him and announce proudly, “Look, Mama, a pirate!”.  (Just so you know, she LOVES pirates!) But what’s a mom to do? I kindly pointed out that he probably wasn’t a pirate and, even if he was, it’s not nice to point and stare.

Our kids have a knack for catching us off guard and doing inappropriate things at the most inopportune times. They really do keep us on our toes, don’t they? Sometimes I wish I could be that honest and uncensored. (Well, actually, some adults are and it’s not necessarily a good thing!)  My kids teach me to not take everything so seriously, make me smile when they notice something I’d never normally see… and, while it’s not polite to point and stare, that is the only way they’ll learn the rules of civility and courteous behavior. 
So, to all those biker types out there, please don’t be offended if you see a cute little 4-year-old pointing and calling you a pirate… to her, that’s the greatest compliment she could pay you! :)

No comments: