If you ask kids, summertime is awesome. THE. BEST. TIME. EVER.
But as parents we know that, despite being fun, summer is a LOT of work! There are camps to book, activities to plan and play dates to schedule. It definitely takes some planning and organization.
We have a few ideas that we hope will help you plan your summer, if you haven't done so already. ;)
1. Make a Boredom Buster Jar - have each family member make a list of things they'd like to do, then mark them on pieces of paper (or decorated craft sticks like these) and put them in a jar. Each day (or week - whatever you've decided on) a new activity is chosen from the jar.
- Some ideas we like: picking berries, visiting a local farm / splash pad / pool, going on a picnic
- Tip: be sure to set boundaries so there's no disappointment, i.e. a trip to France might not be in the budget!
2. Let kids cook - ask them for help in creating the weekly meal plan, and set up a rotating schedule for them to prep and/or make dinner (this is dependent on the skill level and age of your kids). If they prepare the meal, you know they'll eat it! Plus, the added responsibility will build confidence and empower them to try new foods.
- Tip: keep an open mind! If your kids have a wacky meal idea, indulge them. :)
3. Surprise your kids - there's nothing better than taking kids on a completely unexpected family outing. If the budget allows, take advantage of last-minute discounts by booking a night at a hotel, tickets to a theatre show or an excursion to a waterpark. Those are the kinds of things kids remember well after the summer is over. :)
4. Have a movie marathon day - I'm a big supporter of being outside and active, especially during the summer months. But there's something to be said for mixing it up with a day of staying in your pajamas, watching movies, eating popcorn and bonding as a family.
- Tip: consider letting your child(ren) invite a friend or two to join in the fun. The more, the merrier!
What kinds of things does your family like to do in the summer? We'd love to hear your ideas, so let us know by commenting below or on social media! Be sure to tag us @oliverslabels. :)
Wishing you a great start to the summer season!
Connect with us on...