Tuesday, July 5, 2011

My Most Important Job

Right now, I’m trying to get work done…but I’m just a little distracted. You see, someone decided to wake early from his nap and now I’m being coerced to play by a little crawling munchkin who alternates between climbing my leg and leaning in to plant sweet baby kisses on me. What’s a mom to do? :)

I could tell you this is a situation that is leaving me feeling torn, but that would be a lie. Truth is, there’s nothing I’d rather be doing than playing and cuddling with my baby. I want to savour this time with my son, because he won't stay this little forever and I’ll never get these spontaneous moments back again. 

It’s times like this when it really hits home just how much our kids rely on us; it’s up to us to ensure their happiness, security and well-being. The weight of that knowledge is tremendous, but the pride I feel in having such an awesome responsibility overrides everything else. This is the most important job I’ll ever do. Period.

So, yes, work is important; I won’t deny that. But sometimes you’ve just got to go with your gut and do what it tells you. And, at this moment, it’s telling me that my little guy needs his mama – and I’m happy to oblige. 

No comments: