Monday, January 7, 2013

Getting Organized

It’s the start of a new year, and there’s no better time to get organized than now!

As I make a mental checklist of areas that need work, I also take a moment to recognize areas of success, and strategies I’ve implemented since last year, that are effective. (Some of these might work for you!) 
  •  Labeling school items – it’s safe to say my kids are extremely well labeled. Nary a hat or scarf goes to school without a label (with Found-it™) on it… and their teachers have expressed their appreciation for this! :)
  • Work – I’m getting better at structuring my workload so that I have more time to spend with my kids and be more present when doing activities.
  • Birthday planning – I now have pre-purchased birthday gifts ready to go at a moment’s notice. It doesn’t sound like a big deal but, trust me, it’s a lifesaver!
  • Planning play dates – I was always a spontaneous kind of girl, but that meant play dates were pretty hit-and-miss. Now, my oldest child has a weekly scheduled play date that she adores.

While I’ve had a few “wins”, there are still areas that need to be worked on…
  • Our morning routine – we have one, but it is less than stellar…definitely a work-in-progress. While it has shown steady improvement, I need to be more diligent in enforcing it this year so that there is less frustration while trying to get out of the house.
  • Meal planning – there’s nothing worse than rushing around at 5:30pm looking for something quick to make for dinner. I’m going to try and save my sanity by planning meals weekly. We'll eat better, and save money, too! Here are some of the tips and tools I'm going to use. 
  • Personal time – there never seems to be enough time in the day to schedule personal time, but I’m vowing to improve upon last year. While I made some strides in that direction, they were short-lived. This year, I am scheduling a standing date with myself to do something that will invigorate me like my much loved, but often neglected, yoga class.

Are there any organizational strategies that have worked for you, or any that you’re going to try this year? We’d love to hear about them!

Here’s to a healthy, happy 2013!


4 comments:

Torviewtoronto said...

useful post Lisa thank you for sharing

Unknown said...

Great ideas! Most of those I wouldn't have thought of, but getting organized in those areas would save me time and energy!

Shannon said...

My latest "treat to me" was a subscription to a meal planning website! I get to pick the meals and print out the recipes and grocery list. Love it.

Unknown said...

I must agree with you on a few! Routine and organization are top pick for me in 2013! Plus a lot more time for me!