Monday, February 13, 2012

I ♥ Valentine’s Day

There’s no denying Valentine’s Day is a "commercial" holiday, but for some reason I can’t resist. I don’t buy into the notion that gifts and fancy dinners are required, however, I do think it’s important to tell our loved ones how we feel about them every day, and Valentine’s Day presents another opportunity to do so.

My favorite part of February 14th is the sweet tradition of sending valentines to friends and family. There’s something about writing and receiving a valentine that takes me back to another era, when composing letters on paper was practically an art form. I, for one, get very excited when I receive mail (real mail, not email... and, bills not included ;)… my daughter even more so. She received her first Valentine when she was two and a half and, since then, every time she gets one her face lights up.

And who can resist the yummy treats that accompany the special day? Chocolates, cookies, candy… I love them all! As a self-proclaimed sweet-aholic, I’ll take any excuse to indulge. ☺

But, probably the best thing about Valentine’s Day, apart from the cards and candy, is the opportunity to show each other a little kindness and brighten another person’s day. Valentines may seem trivial to some, but they do spread smiles! Children are evidence of this – they get just as much enjoyment out of making Valentines for their friends as they do receiving them. What a great feeling to get, and what a great lesson to learn.

So, even if you’re not a fan of Valentine’s Day, take a moment out of your day tomorrow to pay someone a compliment or spread a little kindness. Sometimes, it’s the little things that mean the most.

P.S. If you are looking for a gift for Valentine's Day, check out our Sweet Hearts line of labels and tags... so fitting! 


No comments: