Friday, February 24, 2012

Springtime Silliness

When my daughter started Junior Kindergarten, the curriculum was “learning through play”. I’ve since read studies showing that kids learn mathematical skills, gain spatial intelligence and increase their creative thinking and problem-solving skills by playing. While TV has a place in our house (I’m a work-at-home Mom that really needs a few minutes to get supper made in the evening!), I try to encourage as much play as possible.

Not only does play help children’s brains develop, but it has other amazing benefits, too – it’s a great reason for us, as parents, to get down to their level and partake in some silly, fun, memory-making play time with our kids. I don’t know about you, but with all the craziness of life, I sometimes forget to do that! I need to remind myself daily to forget about my phone, email and paperwork, and simply enjoy playtime with my kids. It’s amazing to realize just how happy that makes them… that I have the power to make my kids’ day! That, in turn, makes my day! See how it works? ☺

So, do something good for your kids – and you! – by taking time each day for some silliness. There’s no better time to do that than in the grey, dark days leading up to spring. With all the snow/rain and dullness, a little silliness and fun is sure to brighten up any day.

No comments: